Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

FGA25N120 and IR2110

Status
Not open for further replies.

rahul91

Junior Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,
Can I use IR2110 to drive the IGBT FGA25N120 by Fairchild..? Is the gate current requirement for FGA25N120 higher when compared to the output current of IR2110..? The switching frequency is 30KHz.

Thanks in advance.. :)

Depends upon the magnitude of signal voltage. The peak magnitude of gate current should be limited to less than 2.5A for IR2110. You may want to limit it to 2A for all practical purpose.
So suppose if the signal voltage is 12V, the series gate resistance should be 6 ohm. Since IGBTs have an internal gate resistance typically between 1 ohm to 3 ohm, use an external 5 ohm resistor in series with the gate. (Check for the typical value of internal gate resistance of FGA25N120)

FGA25N120 being used in Induction Cooker is the cheapest 1200V IGBT available in the Indian Market. However in hard switching applications it may fail. So if you are not using it in resonant applications think twice. At that switching frequency I would have gonr for the IRGC series perhaps and try with replacement IGBTs once other issues are sorted out.

Edit: AFAIK, Gate Drivers are designed on the basis of Qg (Gate Charge) of IGBTs. What is this internal gate resistance ??

Last edited:

Can I use IR2110 to drive the IGBT FGA25N120 by Fairchild..?
Hi rahul91
Indeed ! why not ?
Is the gate current requirement for FGA25N120 higher when compared to the output current of IR2110..? The switching frequency is 30KHz.
Do you know how to calculate the required gate current ? so calculate it ! then compare it with the datasheet . is that hard ? sorry if i don't want be your calculator !

Best Wishes
Goldsmith

Status
Not open for further replies.