Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Extraction of package parasitics

Status
Not open for further replies.

moisiad

Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
what are package parasitics

Hi

Does anyone know how to include the parasitics (R, L, C) componets of the package , when doing a simulation on extracted level?

Is there any models available for specific type of packages?

Have in mind that i am working on Cadence enviroment

package parasitics

If you are supported through MOSIS (in USA) or CMC (in Canada) you should have the package parasitics available to you in the documentation.
I don't know of any tools that extract parasitics for packages, but the following rules are sort of agreed upon.

Otherwise,

For Bond wires, 0.95 nH/mm, take 1nH/mm
Bonding Pad (depending on size and layout) roughly 0.4 pF.
Same rule as above for the IC package lead.
and the PCB trace can be modeled depending on its layout. Use 'linecalc' program under HPADS to help you out there.

You wanna model this as a distributed transmission line for circuits only above 2 GHz.
------

Also make sure that you know how long the bondwires are, what your package cavity size is and what your die size is. sometimes, the die is not placed exactly in the centre. Hence there should be some margin of error in your simulations, since this factor is not controllable a priori.

package lead parasitics

You can consider using IC-CAP which provides powerful characterization and analysis capabilities for today's semiconductor industry. It also provides tools for developing custom models, specialized extraction routines, a customizable user interface, and statistical analysis for a wide variety of device and circuit parameters.

Find out more here:
http://eesof.tm.agilent.com/products/85190a-a.html

Hi,
Once I used Paksi-E, it seemd to be good. I've heard rumors that it will be integrated in the next Cadence PSD (PCB-package/board design suite).
Regards,
F.S.

Ansoft spicelink is one full wave 3D solver for package parasitics extracion.It extact RLGC matrix directly and can export to spice simulator for more analysis.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back