Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

ethernet transformers really needed ??

Status
Not open for further replies.

evilheart

Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
i am working on an ethernet project , and the cost must be minimized as possible , i have seen circuits schematics for the chip i am using :
microchip ENC624J600

i have found schematics using magnetics and others without magnetics , magnetics chips are usually expensive , and in term of production i can't just add 2$ or 3 $ to the cost/unit , also cheaper alternative integrated magnetic connectors are not available that much in my country ,

can i neglect using the magnetics at all ?? i know it's important for filtering and isolation , but my application doesn't need high speed , and won't communicate that much , so i don't want to add to the cost just to increase the connection reliability from 90% to 99.99% , i may accept a bit lower reliability to decrease the cost

so according to your experiences , are the magentics really that essential ???

This may not specifically apply to your question, but I seem to remember trying to use a plain inexpensive 8-line telephone coupler to connect two ethernet cables. It didn't work. I had to use the special ethernet coupler.

They are needed because there are no ground on Ethernet cables, just 4 diff pairs.

If you do not use a Ethernet transformer, the GND level of the signals may be in a different reference than your board and burn your system. If you ensure the signals are referenced on the same level (for example, in a backplane Ethernet), you may drop the transformer.

Google for transformerless Ethernet for more Info.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back