Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

multiport ethernet design-how to?

Status
Not open for further replies.

garimella

Full Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I have a requirement from a customer to design ethernet ports with 48 sockets on a 6U form factor card. The condition is that no OS can be used. We thought of using wiznet modules (8 sockets with SPI interface) , 6 Nos to meet the socket requirements. Now we need to exactly evaluate the latency that would incur in dealing with multiple sockets. Wanted to get some guidance of how to augment this requirement keeping latency very low. Which processor can I chose to make the bare metal code running?

Odd, I didn't see any 8-port Ethernet modules on Wiznet's site. I did see some 8 SPI port to 1 Ethernet port modules. Besides that if the 48 ports are supposed to be 1Gigabit Ethernet, it doesn't appear like any of their modules will work as the ones I saw seemed to all have some slow serial interface to the host.

If the customer has any requirements for throughput, latency, QoS, etc. they are going to be sorely disappointed in your proposed design. Does anyone at your company have expertise in network (switch?) hardware designs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back