Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

ESD protective wrist band, but no earth ground in the appartment..

Status
Not open for further replies.

podoljano

Junior Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Yeah as stated in the description, i live in a really old apartment, and i have yet to find a earth ground wire around here. I am daily working with sensitive IC's, and believe its about time to find some kind of ESD protection. The only concept i know of is a ESD wrist strap, but with no earth ground i dont really know what to do.. any ideas?

I'm in the habit of touching a nearby metal file cabinet when I'm about to handle sensitive IC's. Or a metal power strip with a 3-prong plug. I don't wear a wrist strap. I'm hoping the cabinet is a sufficient sink for static charge. Anyway that's my substitute for an earth ground.

Old house wiring may have metal receptacle boxes, joined by flexible steel conduit (romex?, I believe).
If you can connect a wire to it, that should provide a ground back at the fusebox.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back