Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Epoxy resin for high voltage insulators?

Status
Not open for further replies.

agoo

Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Epoxy resins are used for high voltage power insolators (see attached photo). Anyone can name a few 2-part epoxy resins which are suitable for this purpose? I want to repair a detector and I need to use epoxy resins which can stand high voltage (10 kv) and high tempreature (250 degC).

Detector has Be window which I must change. I want to use epoxy to attache Be window at atmospheric pressure. Then I need to drill a hole at the side of the detector. Put the detector inside the vacuum and do evacuuation down to 10^-6 torr. Then I need to block the drilled hole inside the vacuum using soldering or expoxy resin. Please welcom to comment if you have any suggestion.

thx

Attachments

• insulator.jpg
    insulator.jpg
    4.8 KB · Views: 98

this may help

what is your device made of?

i think the issue with the voltage has more to do with the thickness of the epoxy
and the distance between the high voltage and the lowest voltage it might arc to (likely ground??)
this distance includes the epoxy, the material the device is made of, and the air on the outside of your device

as for plugging the hole, you might want to use a non-conducting plug with
the epoxy to seal the small gap between the plug and the hole.

clearly you'll need to manipulate things inside your vacuum chamber

250 °C is beyond temperature range of standard epoxy resins. Even more problematic, organic glues are not high vacuum tight. Due to their leakage rate, the detector vacuum will quickly degrade. Technics like brazed ceramic-metal joints are required. You find a detailed description and comparison of performance in A. Roth, Vacuum Sealing Techniques.
--- Updated ---

It's not completely clear how attaching a window is related to high voltage insulation. Insulation will be established by ceramic or glass detector case.

Last edited:

W
250 °C is beyond temperature range of standard epoxy resins. Even more problematic, organic glues are not high vacuum tight. Due to their leakage rate, the detector vacuum will quickly degrade. Technics like brazed ceramic-metal joints are required. You find a detailed description and comparison of performance in A. Roth, Vacuum Sealing Techniques.
--- Updated ---

It's not completely clear how attaching a window is related to high voltage insulation. Insulation will be established by ceramic or glass detector case.
What is the highest temperature range for 2 part epoxy resins?
Attached is a photo of the factory resin used for sealing (Brown color). I am looking for the same or close resin to repair the leak.

Detector pins voltage is about 10 kv and sometimes for cleaning and re-evacuuating the detector it should be heated up to 100 deg C for several hours. Sealant used for this detector is a 2 part epoxy resin. I am trying to find the best match.

Attachments

• Detector leak location.JPG
    Detector leak location.JPG
    20.2 KB · Views: 101
Last edited:

i suggest you do a better internet search
i googles "high temperature vacuum epoxy"

maybe this will do the job

10kV is not really a problem but 250C is bit high temperature for epoxy (but we can still manage): I think the real problem is the high vacuum. Regular off the shelf two part epoxy contains too much filler (makes them porous) and too much solvent (makes gassing an issue).

If the Be window is not too large (for nuclear or X-ray application) you can get away with a thin layer applied like a O-ring and cure it quickly at 150C or so. I suggest, degass the epoxy after mixing (before application) in a high vacuum for 15-20 mins to remove volatiles as much as possible. Bake it after a few hours. Reduce the amount of hardener to slow down the setting process.

Experiment with blank and play with the different brands. Select a brand with low fillers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back