Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Electronic noise in audio preamplifiers

Status
Not open for further replies.

m_t_c

Junior Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi all

I am driving a preamplifier in frequency range of 3 KHz to 40 KHz with 60 dB Gain with 12V DC Power Supply (R&S bench power supply). The noise floor at preamplifier output observed on oscilloscope is around -60dBV (in frequency range of 3 KHz to 40 KHz) when input is being short. However, i have to power ON a single board computer (SBC) from same 12V supply. As soon as SBC (PICO-KBU4) is being power ON, the output noise floor at preamplifier output suddenly rises to around -15 dBV in desired frequency range on oscilloscope. If SBC is power OFF, the noise floor at preamplifier output again drops to -60 dB.

What can be possible causes of this noise induction upon SBC power ON and what may be possible remedies to resolve this noise issue? Please help me.

Thanks & Regards

The SBC probably has low frequency switching signals within the amplifier passband and also may have an on-board switching voltage regulator. These are notorious for drawing short but large bursts of current that are probably not dampened by the bench supply output filtering. Try adding a choke in line with the supply to the SBC and adding a low ESR capacitor on the SBC side of it. Suggest values of around 1mH and 100uF as a starting point.

Brian.

Try adding a choke in line with the supply to the SBC and adding a low ESR capacitor on the SBC side of it. Suggest values of around 1mH and 100uF as a starting point.

Brian.
Thanks. I will try them
--- Updated ---

Try adding a choke in line with the supply to the SBC and adding a low ESR capacitor on the SBC side of it. Suggest values of around 1mH and 100uF as a starting point.

Brian.
Do i need to introduce inductor only in positive supply line or in ground line also? Should i connect capacitor b/w + and - supply terminal of SBC? Thanks

Last edited:

Hi,

show a photo of your wiring. Especially GND, Supply and audio signals. Also all connections to your measurement devices.
Then we can give you recommendations.

Klaus

A common-mode choke connected between the power supply and the preamp for power and ground and/or for the SBC may also help.

Although a choke is more effective (as already suggested)...

You might have a mild case where a resistor (with capacitor smoothing) provides a degree of isolation from noise on the supply.

R and C filters out noise on supply line.png

Status
Not open for further replies.