Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[SOLVED] Effect of load on inductor current in a DC-DC converter

Status
Not open for further replies.

nenya

Newbie level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello,
I have a general query. In a step-down converter, will the nature of load affect the inductor current profile? That is, the inductor current is in CCM for a linear load (Resistive load) but goes into DCM when tested for a non-linear load. In this case, will I need to re-size the inductor?
Thank you very much in advance. I will be glad to provide additional details, if needed, for you to help me.

what is a non linear load?

you need a certain amount of current drawn to cause ccm, but this has nothing to do with whether the load is linear or not, just how much current it is drawing.

if the converter is bidirectional, then of course, when the current crosses through zero the current will pass through the dcm range before becoming ccm in the other direction.

Thank you, Johansen, for your clarification.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back