Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Does the color of solar batteries change according to load?

Status
Not open for further replies.

YAS_HASHI

Junior Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I have a question about solar batteries. Solar batteries change light energy to electric energy. If load condition changes, the output power of electric energy will change. Then does the input power of light energy change? Change of the input power of the energy means change of the absorption coefficient of the panel. It will lead to change of the color, may be, it will be very very small change. If the absorption coefficient doesn't change (that means the input power doesn't change), does heating of the panel change?
My question is that I can know the electric consumption change of the neighbor from the color change of solar batteries on roof. :)

Photovoltaic panels turn light into electricity.

The panel gets hot just sitting in the sun.

It will heat up a little more than usual if you draw several Amperes from it. However that portion of heating is minor compared to the infra-red portion of sunlight.

If you could shine pure visible light on the panel, I suppose any temperature rise would be due to electrical heating effect.

Not sure about the panel temporarily changing color, however. There are commercial utilities who increase output by reflecting sunlight onto PV panels with mirrors. This burns the panels and turns them brown after a few years, reducing their output. This probably is not the color change you're talking about.

Status
Not open for further replies.