Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Documents about variable gain amplifier at RF frequency

Status
Not open for further replies.

peterVM

Newbie level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Variable gain amplifier

Does anyone know about a good book or article about designing a variable gain amplifier at RF frequency ?

And perhaps with a flat phase response versus gain variation ?

/Peter

Re: Variable gain amplifier

It was pretty difficult to get any books talking about VGA (I wonder why), but I eventually found something to read about in the Paul Horowitz (Art of Electronics .. sorry I can't remember the title well).

Thanks a lot. I will try to get a hold of the book. If others should be interested the book is : "The Art of Electronics, by Paul Horowitz, from Cambridge University Press, from 1989 and reprinted in 1993".

Have you (wee_liang) by any chance designed a VGA ?

Yes.

But you can post your queries on the forum, you'll be surprise at the number of people who have done it ( I think).

Variable gain amplifier

I found that IEEE has many topic about this,you can find it there.

I am also interested to get some information about VGA. I tried NATSem, they have some good info

What frequency range are you talking about?
For HF frequencies (0 to 50MHz) you can check application notes about the Analog Device AD60x series of IC's.

I remember a good article from B.Gilbert about this topic , but i can't remeber the title.
Maybe someone knows this article.

Variable gain amplifier

as I know ,
1 use High gain OPA + switch resistor
2 use GM amp and tunning current

I am talking about a frequency of about 1.6 GHz, so application notes about VGA's for 0 - 50 MHz is probably not really going to help me, but thanks anyway.

I have actually been simulating a gilbert cell in cadence with good results. With the right trimming it has a high dynamic range (large variable gain) while maintaining a low phase variation with varying gain, which I need.

Has anyone had luck with another configuration than a gilbert cell for a VGA at more than 1 GHz ?

I have used with good results the following IC:

PM 2701 from Pacific Monolithics.
It is working from 800 to 4500 MHz.

30 dB max attenuation.

Mandi

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back