Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

DC gain and unity-gain frequency requirements for an amplifier

Status
Not open for further replies.

electronics_rama

Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi All,

Please find the below structure of a unity gain buffer with a capacitive feedback network. What decides the DC gain and unity gain frequency of the amplifier, "AMP" used in the below circuit?

1662395805636.png

Thanks.

The symbol is an op amp. I assume ground goes to the non-inverting input?

The two caps C1 C1 might act similar to identical resistors if we expect to approach this as a normal AC signal operational amplifier. Gain=1 but only if it's a waveform in the right part of the frequency spectrum and which does not distort when going through a series cap.

It's hard to evaluate all factors influencing behavior... for example, the capacitor load having a much higher value than C1 C1. It might produce DC action, it might not.
So it's hard to predict all factors present.

I could be wrong. It would help if you state your own approach to this exercise.

It looks like the DC level is periodically refreshed to ground by a clock controlling the feedback path switch. DC gain would be -1, I think (inverting side is input).

The unity gain frequency will be a function of the internals of the op amp in conjunction with the load capacitance. Typically, fu = gm/(2*pi*Cl) where Cl is Total Cap load, CL + C1*C1/(C1+C1)

Last edited:
I am not familiar with this problem, can you explain further....?
A square wave for instance becomes spike-y when passed through a series capacitor. That is, in many or most circuits where finite resistance is present, and especially where the C value is tiny (as in the schematic above, 2 pF).

A sine wave retains its shape when passed through a series cap.

The schematic above does preserve all waveforms unchanged, in theory. This is because: a) op amp inputs have infinite resistance when considered as ideal components, and b) the feedback loop is entirely capacitive impedance not ohmic resistance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back