Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Direction control for motor

Status
Not open for further replies.

daviddlc

Full Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
how to connect lm293d

Hi, I want to control the direction (forward/reverse) of a 5 dcv 0.5 amp motor, no PWM involved.

I have been looking to use MOSFET, but I have read they are more suitable for PWM control, and I don't like the fact they use complicated gate drivers.

I'm thinking to use regular bipolar transistors.

Any suggestion or comment wheter to use bipolar or mosfet for this application ?

Thanks

Added after 5 minutes:

I did not mention before, but this is going to be controlled by a PIC controller

MOSFETs used as static switches don't need complicated gate drivers, just a sufficient gate voltage. You have to use a 4 MOSFET bridge circuit for a polarity reversal. While N low side switches can be simply driven by logic level, the high side switches may be either P-MOS or you need a auxilary voltage above the motor voltage and a level shifter. MOSFET are superior regarding low losses and zero driver current, but BJT can do as well. At 0.5 A, the losses are usually tolerable.

See an operational 12V/6A reversal switch for reference:

Thank you very much for your comment.

Other point is that I'm trying to avoid increased amount of components, as you can check in you diagram you need to have some amount of components on the gate driver, so I was thinking if I use BJT this amount will be reduced.

If you or somebody else have more opinion, please let me know.

Thanks all.

Dear Friend
There are Suitable Motor Driver IC.I have used them and I were satisfy!LM293D enjoy it!

There are integrated H bridges like ZXMHC6A07T8 that do not require any additional components. If you use it as low frequency switch, just connect two gates together and toggle two ouputs of your PIC to drive those two pares of gates.

Darlington BJTs can help with simple drive circuit and low driving power.

Darlington BJTs can help with simple drive circuit and low driving power.
But it implies around 2 V total voltage drop for a reversal switch (full bridge).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back