Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

direct conversion and heterodyne receiver

Status
Not open for further replies.

caoquyen164

Junior Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
hi all, from UBX daughter board from ettus, I see that for HF & UHF (<500MHz ), they use heterodyne receiver architecture, and for microwave, they use direct conversion receiver architecture. why that ? is there any advantages of heterodyne arc for low frequency and in reverse ?? tks in advanced.

Probably at microwave the circuit DC offset and flicker noise is a smaller problem than filter out the image frequency and mixing to an intermediate frequency or frequencies. Just a guess.

Image frequency is a more serious problem at lower frequencies.For better filtering, heterodyne receivers are more convenient.
But direct conversion is also possible.For instance Cable TV Tuners use-nowadays- Direct Conversion technique because CATV spectrum is pretty clean compare to terrestrial broadcasting.

why is Image freq more serious problem at lower freq ? I heard much about it but no one can give the reason.

why is Image freq more serious problem at lower freq ? I heard much about it but no one can give the reason.
Because the spectrum is quite dirty up to 3GHz .( Radios,TVs,Comm.s,VHF,UHF Military,Air Traffic etc etc..,GSM,LTE.. )

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back