Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Digilent Basys2 LED issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

becko1

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,
My problem is the following: whenever i program my Basys2 Fpga board with Adept, the 8th led (LD7 - g1) is always turned on, even if the matching switch is set to 0, and if I want to use that Led with my program. It only works fine with the Adept user demo bit file (then I can turn off and on the led with the switch), with the Adept test, it doesn't work either.
Is my device malfunctioning or is there a solution to this? (Other than this, it works fine, if I dont need that led)

I doubt it has anything to do with the Adept software that Digilent has to program the FPGA/config flash.

The bit file used is what determines if the LED is on/off and I looked at the schematic of the Basys2 board and there isn't any switches connected to the LED. The FPGA pin G1 is connected to a 390 ohm resistor which is connected to the LED anode and the cathode is grounded. There is no switch controlling the LED.

Reactions: becko1

becko1

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Well, it's odd since it works by using the switch in the user demo ( which runs as soon as i turn on the board). And even when i would need that led(7) as an output (i set it as), and it shouldn't illuminate (value 0), it still does (its a 2x4 bit comparator, which shows equality on Led0, and would show A greater than b on Led7 (just for the test). However, I have another bit file, which accomplishes a 8 bit counter (using led0-7), counts one by one, and that works fine, so it's not a hardware problem maybe.

The demo probably uses the switch input on another pin to set the G1 output high, that's why it controls the LED. To shut off the LED you should drive a low level on the G1 pin, I imagine the bit files you are using have the pin driven high. I doubt the internal pullups on the Spartan are capable of allowing enough current to light up the LED.

Reactions: becko1

becko1

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Yfn5zd2RPQ , in this video, at 7:41, it shows the adept test mode, you can see there is no led illuminating, for me there is, the first from left. The problem is that it's like a default option for me when I program the bit files...and I wouldn't really want to shut it off, it should just work like the other ones, if I need it for an output. Plus I've used the same bit files, on a board like mine, and I'm almost sure the 7th led wasn't illuminating there. (I have that bit file which I said it works though, so I'm trying to go after it...)

Status
Not open for further replies.