Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Differential outputs on Arty-A7

Status
Not open for further replies.

qamesh

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello,
Hi, I am experimenting with differential outputs on the Arty A7. For this, I am using the 100MHz clock and have instantiated an ODDR then OBUFDS -- . I Have also looked through the 7-series Select-IO Resources User Guide and the only differential I/O at 3.3V is TMDS_33 IOStandard.

Code Verilog - [expand]
ODDR #(
      .DDR_CLK_EDGE("SAME_EDGE"),
      .INIT(1'b0), 
      .SRTYPE("SYNC")
   )ODDR_CLKADC(
      .Q(buff_local),
      .C(buff_in),
      .CE(1'b1),
      .D1(1'b1),
      .D2(1'b0),
      .R(1'b0),
      .S(1'b0)
   );

OBUFDS  #(
     .IOSTANDARD("TMDS_33") // Specify the input I/O standard
     )OBUFDS_inst (
      .O(buff_out_p),     // Diff_p output (connect directly to top-level port)
      .OB(buff_out_n),   // Diff_n output (connect directly to top-level port)
      .I(buff_local)      // Buffer input
    );

The .xdc file has the following --

## Pmod Header JB
set_property -dict { PACKAGE_PIN E15 IOSTANDARD TMDS_33 } [get_ports { buff_out_p }];
set_property -dict { PACKAGE_PIN E16 IOSTANDARD TMDS_33 } [get_ports { buff_out_n }];
Pins E15/E16 are HR I/O banks [JB1/2] and they should work fine.

Synthesis & implementation are fine and I can generate a bitstream, but I see no output on these pins (just 0v)
I also tried to connect a termination resistor of 50 ohm pulled up to 3.3 V as recommended for FP_3.3_50 [OFF chip termination]. but it gives nothing...can anyone help me in this?

Attachments

• FP_3.3_50.png
    FP_3.3_50.png
    19.2 KB · Views: 109
Last edited by a moderator:

What drives buff_in?

You don't show how that is produced, if it never toggles the output of the ODDR will never change. The C input needs both rising and falling edges to output the D1 and D2 inputs.

What drives buff_in?

You don't show how that is produced, if it never toggles the output of the ODDR will never change. The C input needs both rising and falling edges to output the D1 and D2 inputs.
Hello,
buff_in is clk_100MHz (it is. a single ended clock signal of 100 MHZ comes from the Output of the Clock wizard).

#The C input needs both rising and falling edges to output the D1 and D2 inputs.
do you mean that I should set both to 1'b1 ?..I though that it is up to the user to set whether to use the rising edge or the falling edge!.

@qamesh
#The C input needs both rising and falling edges to output the D1 and D2 inputs.
It means the nature of the buff_in signal should be that of a clock (which has periodic rising and falling edges).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back