Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

difference between microcontroller and dsp board?

Status
Not open for further replies.

wajahat

Advanced Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
difference between microcontroller and dsp

hi everyone, i started working on miocrocontroller.I wanted to use it for compreesion purposes.Someone told me that dsp board would be abetter choice.What i want to know is what is the difference between microcontroller and dsp board .How do they differ as far as processing is concerned.

Any response would be helpful.Thanks.

main diff. b/w microcontroller & dsp

wajahat,
DSPs are optimized for speed and DSP. For example, most DSPs execute all their instructions in a single machine cycle. Also, DSPs have instructions specifically designed for DSP, such as "MAC" (multiply and accumulate) which execute in a single machine cycle.
Regards,
Kral

wajahat

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
comparison between microcontroller & dsp

well answered bove,
there are two kinds of memories available in DSP processors ,seperate for data & program memory, suppose we want to do convolution the fixed data will be stored in in one of the memory,suppose h(n) impulse reponse,and the incoming data in the other, for real time applications, thus it efficiently calculates the task without using of much processor cycle time,thus it will be faster when compared to MC,where the same convolutio will take so many machine cycles.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back