Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Diagram question - need help understanding

Status
Not open for further replies.

JenniR

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi Everyone :)

I'm not at all an electronics person, however, my boyfriend is a robotics fanatic. He gave me this card, with a diagram on it, and I was hoping that someone here could tell me what it means.

I thank you very much for your time. :)

-Jenni

thinkingofyou.jpg

The diagram shows a number in binary, and two logic gates (NAND gate above, NOR gate below).

In decimal the number is 149.

The logic inputs are attached to boxes containing bit values. Outputs (boolean results) lead to boxes representing bit values.

There does not appear to be any pattern, or operation, or sequence of operations, which produced the binary number.

However in your boyfriend's mind, by moving the inputs and outputs in a certain pattern from right to left, it might generate a series of binary values that have some meaning.

One wonders if he was too bashful to draw a cute picture of a robot with its arms reaching out to you, saying 'Thinking of you'.

Reactions: JenniR

JenniR

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
You are indeed Rad, Brad. :)

It seemed vague and up for multiple interpretations to me. I'm glad that you took the time to help me. If it helps... this was on the inside:

thinkingofyou2.jpg

Thanks!

The handwritten formulas have to do with electronics, computers...

and Einstein's famous energy equation re-arranged.

As for the binary numbers at the bottom, they represent decimal 63, 60, 73. Possibly random values.

It may be his way of showing what his mind dwells on. One might call it a 'guy thing'.

I spent lot of time to solve this, but got puzzled in numbers. 149, two logic gates. then in second picture some formulas and numbers.

Can you post the answer? If it is personal then, leave it.

Hats off to this guy.

I spent lot of time to solve this, but got puzzled in numbers. 149, two logic gates. then in second picture some formulas and numbers.

Can you post the answer? If it is personal then, leave it.

Hats off to this guy.

He's Brilliant. I mean BRILLIANT. That's part of why I love him.

My skills are not in electronics or mathematics. I don't know the answer, that's what I was wondering if anyone here could figure it out. I'd love to be able to just rattle off the answer back at him and see the look on his face. He'd know I had help of course, but just the look on his face would be priceless. Also, I Want to understand. He's got me so intrigued by his hexapod, I'm actually going to take an electronics coarse this Spring. And I built my own binary clock with him. He coded it and designed the circuits, but I soldered it. </proud> He's trying to tell me something, I know it, everything he does has meaning, right down to the colour of his socks. He doesn't do anything without purpose.

So any help here I would so appreciate. :)

Thanks!
Jenni

It looks like an Linear Feedback Shift Register (LFSR), used to produce pseudo-random numbers.
One cool application of the LFSR was used in the old Atari 2600 video games to produce a random noise... If you attach a speaker to one of the bits, you would hear the cools sounds of the 30+ year old game console :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back