Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Designing an amplifier for specific gain, noise figure and VSWR at X band in ADS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shirai

Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I have a project that is due next week and we need to design an X band amplifier for a gain > 12 dB , NF < 1.5 dB and VSWR < 2.5 while having a DC supply voltage < 5 V .
I have tried many transistors in the ADS library and most has lower operation point than the X-band .
After trying a bunch I simulated one of those transistors I tried using the ADS Designguide for FET Sp , NF , stabilty , ect... and replacing the default transistor by my transistor with this circuit and the following results.

circuitfor NF FET.PNG

1.PNG

image.PNG

I picked my GammaS and the corresponding Bias point such that I am in the stable region and now , at the input I need to match 50 ohms to that Zs.

I used the smith chart utility to match gamma S to 50 ohms and built my matching network .

smith chart.PNG

Then when I simulated the circuit with the matching network at the input my S11>-10 dB throughout the frequency range and my gain circle , instead of being the 16.2 dB I got in the designguide simulation for this point ( considering ideal components shouldn't cause losses) I am getting the largest available gain circle implying the lowest possible gain while it is also very thick ( which I don't understand ) .
Also the transistor datasheet didn't have Rn for the NF circle equation so I put it as 5 ohms just to test.

circles and sp.PNG

why didn't the matching network work ? and what is the real true gain of my amplifier ?

PS : I tried the tuning tool in ADS and changed the value of the inductance in my LC matching network which gave me better results ( still i don't know why ) but the same issue with my Ga circle . ( should I even use Ga to asses my gain ? I just used it because I was in the GammaS plane so it made sense ) .

tuning tool results.PNG

Finally these are other results I have if this helps which I don't really understand ( like the shape of the GS circle even if it is in the load plane or my gamma or the fact that my VSWR is within criteria from 9 to 11 GHZ ...)

other results if they help.PNG

Please help me , my deadline is super close and I have to write a report and a presentation as well for Wednesday , thursday at most.
Thank you in advance .

Attachments

• circles and sp.PNG
    circles and sp.PNG
    17.7 KB · Views: 95
Last edited by a moderator:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back