Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Design of 12 bit SAR ADC problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

vladimir1984

Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
sar split capacitor array

Hello there!
I have a task to design SAR ADC with 12 bit resolution. Now I use charge redistribution SAR ADC.
Is it possible to achieve 12 bit resolition with INL less 1 LSB and DNL less 0.5LSB with this archotecture? Or I need trimming, calibration, digital error corection and so on... I use 0.18um BiCMOS technology. Now, I have bad Monte Carlo process & mismatches results, DNL up to 4LSB.
And one problem more, without using an split capacitive array with attenuator capactor I'll have a huge die area, but using spliting I have worse results than without.
Can anybody help or give some tipps or advise!!!
Thanks
Best regards

binary-weighted split-capacitive arrays

It's almost impossible to get 12-bit SAR ADC with good yield without callibration.
Split capacitor is necessary even for 8-bit SAR ADC.

Please check these topics.

sar adc split-capacitor

vladimir1984,
12 bit is still feasible without calibration.
Is your capacitor array binary decoded, thermometer decoded or segmented (in this case what is the segmentation) ?

adc 12 bit design

maxwellequ said:
vladimir1984,
Is your capacitor array binary decoded, thermometer decoded or segmented (in this case what is the segmentation) ?

I think when design 12bit SAR ADC . We can 6-6 segmented, the LSB use binary decoded, the MSB cap. array thermometer decoded.
A full differential comparator with offset cancel and full differential capacitor array was used.
But I think that is not enough, as the capacitor nonlinear distortion we not consider.
I think we should consider this distortion in 12Bit SAR ADC design even the MIM or PIP capacitor is very well.
But I can not find the detail information about capacitor nolinear in SAR ADC.
And only know the voltage dependence of capacitor may introduce distortion, but they are detail relation I don't know.
All those things trouble me long time, anyone can give me some advice.

split capacitor and dnl

maxwellequ said:
vladimir1984,
Hello maxwellequ! I use charge redistribuition capacitive array. The capacitors in it are binary weighted. And the array is splitted on two parts - the MSB part, LSB part and atennuation capacitor in center. I don't have thermometer code. Is it possble to get thermometer code in this architecture? How?
Big thanks for the answer

Added after 4 minutes:

jerryzhao said:
maxwellequ said:
vladimir1984,

I think when design 12bit SAR ADC . We can 6-6 segmented, the LSB use binary decoded, the MSB cap. array thermometer decoded.
A full differential comparator with offset cancel and full differential capacitor array was used.
But I think that is not enough, as the capacitor nonlinear distortion we not consider.
I think we should consider this distortion in 12Bit SAR ADC design even the MIM or PIP capacitor is very well.
But I can not find the detail information about capacitor nolinear in SAR ADC.
And only know the voltage dependence of capacitor may introduce distortion, but they are detail relation I don't know.
All those things trouble me long time, anyone can give me some advice.

Dear jerryzhao can you explain me how is possible MSB cap. array to be thermometer decoded? I can not imagine it.
Thank you

adc distortion

I mean the top3 or top 4 MSB use thermometer code. that can save the DAC's seting time. use the 3 to 8 or 4 to 16 decode.

Status
Not open for further replies.