Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[SOLVED] Dell laptop Model: PP42L - No power

Status
Not open for further replies.

Comnics

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello!

the Problem of this laptop is no power the adapter is ok, when i connect the adapter to the laptop the power LED of the adapter was off. my suspect problem is the MB so i disassemble the MB, i Check it using analog Multimeter with continuity range the positive line and the negative was shorted. which components commonly damage of this kind of problem.

anyone have schematic diagram of this? Help me Plzzzz.... thanks and advance...

Are you sure that the motherboard socket is really shorted, and the reading was not the result of capacitors charging?

Are you aware that many (but not all) Dell laptops use a three-connector power socket? If not, read on...

Look closely at your power socket on the MB, and the power plug on the adapter. The three connector types have the power supplied by the inner and outer sleeves of the plug, while the centre pin is actually a control pin, not a power pin. You should be able to see the contacts on the inside of the socket that would mate with the two sides of the sleeve on the plug.

So, if you have that type of connector, and have measured conductivity to the centre pin, you are not testing what you think you are.

The centre pin on these adapters is used by the laptop to make sure that the correct PSU is plugged in and, if not, to not allow proper operation. Really, it is to make you buy a proper Dell PSU instead of using a cheap replacement if the PSU fails.

Check out your connector and let us know if it is this three-connector type.

Reactions: Comnics

Comnics

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Good day sir! yes there are three connector of the power adapter.

I check 1st the power adapter i plug in to the power source the power led of the adapter is light. i check the out voltage of the adapter, the outer terminal is negative or ground and the inner is positive there's no voltage of the center pin.

I connect to the MB power connector the power LED indicator of the adapter was turn off, i think they have something bad of the MB.
I check the Caps and diode near to the MB power connector they all good..

Thanks for the reply sir....

hello everyone! I found the defective parts of this laptop, SMD type capacitor near of CPU socket is shorted.. Thanks.....

actually it is big problem.Then I think this model is set for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back