Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

DDR2 SDRAM on XUPV5, init & sim problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

sebblonline

Newbie level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,

I have problems using the DDR2 RAM on my XUPV5-LX110t Board. I generated it using MIG core generator (ISE 12.1 and also 12.3 recently) with VHDL sources.

1. I didnt succeed in simulating the core using the generated example design, because the ddr2 model only is available as a verilog file (ddr2_model.v) what results in a simulation error because the rest of the design is in VHDL. I used the ISE Simulator. When I generate the core with verilog sources, the simulation runs, but stops during the init phase (ACTIVATE state) of the memory controller.

2. For testing the controller on the FPGA, I instantiated it in a seperate user design which performs very simple read/write commands on the RAM. I propagated the phy_init_done signal of the controller to a GPIO LED to check, if the init phase completes successfully, what is NOT the case.

My constraints of the design should be right, I used the DDR2 constraints out of the master_xupv5-lx110t.ucf file.

I also use two SMB cables for the 200MHz clock and configured the DIP switch SW6 appropriately.

What is the correct workflow to simulate the core using ISim or testing a simple design on the FPGA?

thanks in advance
sebastian

Status
Not open for further replies.