Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

DC Solenoid driving with a PWM

Status
Not open for further replies.

kjineesh

Newbie level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello,

I've a DC solenoid valve which is rated for 12VDC, I want to drive this coil with a PWM, constant current power supply. Can I do that?

Thanks

Using PWM works fine for some solenoids but you have to keep the frequency in a region not too high to generate core losses and not too low to keep the current almost constant. 1 or 2kHz is a good starting point. And YES, you can decrese the current after latching, down to half the initial value (some testing is necessary here). Do not forget using free whelling diodes in parallel with the coil.
Regards

You may also increase the initial current by a large amount (about 15ms) if you need faster operation without increasing heat losses.

Status
Not open for further replies.