Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

DC-DC power supply / converter design

Status
Not open for further replies.

evandude

Newbie level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
car psu evandude

I am looking for a DC-DC converter design that takes a nominal 12v input, and outputs 12v also. The input voltage should be 8-15v or so... the lower the minimum, the better (6 or 7v minimum input would be great).

I need at least 2 to 3 amps output, the higher the better... 5 amps would be excellent.

It's for my car computer, which runs off 12v. This would allow it to continue running when the power dropped well below 12v during engine starting without requiring a battery backup system, as well as providing a regulated 12v output. There are similar things commercially available but most of them provide outputs for all computer voltages (+/-12, +5v, 3.3v, etc) designed to replace a computer power supply... however I already have a power supply that generates all those voltages from a single +12v so I'd rather build a simpler DC-DC to add on to the system.

I really don't know much of anything about DC-DC converter design, so I'm hoping people can offer some insight. I found a design for one of the multiple output ones, if nobody has another design handy I will probably try to reverse-engineer that one a little to get just the 12v stage from it.

I'd also be interested in any websites/articles on DC-DC power supply theory and design in general...

thanks in advance...

DC-DC power supply

What you need is a buck-boost converter.
Look at this post.

Also take a look at this
**broken link removed**
You may need some control circuitry to maintain a constant output voltage of 12 V.

evandude

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back