Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

dB to dBm convertion

Status
Not open for further replies.

aljoy

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
i got my gain as 29.5dB..please help me to convert it to dBm .....is it a valid conversion?

dBm is related to a reference impedance.

dBm (sometimes dBmW) is an abbreviation for the power ratio in decibels (dB) of the measured power referenced to one milliwatt (mW). It is used in radio, microwave and fiber optic networks as a convenient measure of absolute power because of its capability to express both very large and very small values in a short form. Compare dBW, which is referenced to one watt (1000 mW).

Since it is referenced to the watt, it is an absolute unit, used when measuring absolute power. By comparison, the decibel (dB) is a dimensionless unit, used for quantifying the ratio between two values, such as signal-to-noise ratio.

In audio and telephony, dBm is typically referenced relative to a 600 ohm impedance,[1] while in radiofrequency work dBm is typically referenced relative to a 50 ohm impedance.[2]

i got my gain as 29.5dB..please help me to convert it to dBm .....is it a valid conversion?

No, you cannot convert it because both are of different nature.

The abbreviation dB is used for a figure without any dimension (like gain). For example, a gain of 1000 is identical to 20log(1000)=60 dB.
The abbreviation dbm is used to express a POWER as a logarithmic value - referenced to 1mW.
For example P=1mW is identical to 10log(1mW/1mW)=10log(1)=0dBm and P=1W=1000mW is identical to 10log(1000/1)=30dBm.

Please note that "dB" and "dBm" are no units. It is just an indication that the value is expressed in a log scale. That means, for example, you are allowed to add dBm and dB values.

Status
Not open for further replies.