Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

creating new vhdl files with Lattice icecube2

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoseL

Newbie level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello all,

I'm trying to work out with lattice ICE40 fpgas and the IDE for them is ICECUBE2 (I don't undestand why Lattice Diamond doesn't have support for this fpga family).
I think that this IDE is a bit clunky but I can deal with that, the problem is I'm not able to create a new VHDL file only I've the option to add files to a new project.

Anyone is working with icecube2 and these fpgas?

I could not find any tutorials or good help in internet and, I think It's good idea to share information between the people with interest in this low power and cost fpgas.

Regards.

why not just create the .vhd file in a text editor and add it to the project?

Ok that's like I'm doing it but I wanted to know if there's any other way... and how the people is working with this fpgas..
Thanks for your anwer.

Well at 6% market share in 2013 I'm pretty sure they don't have much of a budget to make a really nice IDE that has all the bells and whistles that other larger FPGA vendors have (namely Altera and Xilinx) Actel's tool suite still looks a lot like Xilinx''s Foundation circa 1995-2000 (which I recall they bought from Lucent, Lucent being a 3000 series licensee making second source parts).

I vaguely recall some old versions of Foundation didn't have an IDE with a window that allowed you to edit code it was merely a viewer.

Well at 6% market share in 2013 I'm pretty sure they don't have much of a budget to make a really nice IDE that has all the bells and whistles that other larger FPGA vendors have (namely Altera and Xilinx) Actel's tool suite still looks a lot like Xilinx''s Foundation circa 1995-2000 (which I recall they bought from Lucent, Lucent being a 3000 series licensee making second source parts).

I vaguely recall some old versions of Foundation didn't have an IDE with a window that allowed you to edit code it was merely a viewer.

Hello first of all thanks for your answer,

Regarding your argument I completely disagree, in my opinion, a company with a big budget doesn't mean they go to have a "nice IDE" and "nice" software solution for their products.

i.e I can talk about Xilinx, I worked and I still working with ISE, comparing with Lattice Diamond Suit, I've found this last one, better and more easy to use and complete and another thing is that you only download what you need not like with ISE that the small version is about 6GB...

Well that is my experience and opinion about IDE and companies, I think everyone has his point of view of that.

Regards.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back