Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

creating circular polarization in rectangular horn antenna with single feed

Status
Not open for further replies.

yefj

Advanced Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello ,for circular polarization we need to create two modes with 90 degree phase.
in patch antenna we feed the diagonal to create two modes .
what could be done in rectangular horn antenna to create a circular polarization with a single feed.
i could not find in google anything.
is the some specific method or article i could use?
i could not find anything..

it either use dual feed or use a metamaterial polarizer..
no use of single feed in rectangular horn only.

Creating CP with a single feed can be done, but it's usually done by:

a) Exciting both polarizations with the single source
b) Creating some sort of phase delay in one polarization with respect to the other

For example, a slot or truncated corner in a single-feed patch antenna.

To do this with a horn would be a bit of effort, an equivalent feed might be by inserting the pin at 45-degrees into a square waveguide, and then chamfering two corners of the waveguide to create the phase difference (I haven't seen this done, it's just a guess). I can't say it's been done before.

More simply, you could also use a 3-dB 90-degree coupler to take one input and divide it into two with a phase shift.

Creating CP with a single feed can be done, but it's usually done by:

a) Exciting both polarizations with the single source
b) Creating some sort of phase delay in one polarization with respect to the other

For example, a slot or truncated corner in a single-feed patch antenna.

To do this with a horn would be a bit of effort, an equivalent feed might be by inserting the pin at 45-degrees into a square waveguide, and then chamfering two corners of the waveguide to create the phase difference (I haven't seen this done, it's just a guess). I can't say it's been done before.

More simply, you could also use a 3-dB 90-degree coupler to take one input and divide it into two with a phase shift.
Rectangular waveguide does not support circular polarization modes.

A septum is typically used to create circular polarization in a circular waveguide. The other option is a polarizer in front of your horn.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back