Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Coupling DC with RF signal

Status
Not open for further replies.

toyonline

Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi, I am working on generating a high voltage RF signal floated on a small DC voltage. The basic network I used is attached. RF signal was generated by resonance LC tank, and DC was from a DC power supply to generate ~10V.

Since the RF I used is 5kVpp @ ~1MHz, to protect DC power supply, the DC was connected into the network through a filter.

The expected output (J2) was a RF floated on a DC voltage. But the problem is, the network seems sometimes alter my DC voltage measured. For example, after a period of use, when I turn off RF signal (switch off linear amp), measured output (purely DC) was 0.2V, and the orignial set one was 5V.

This phenomenon doesn't regularly appear. I cannot control, but it does arise somehow.

Does this suggest I should replace my caps like F1 or C7? any other suggestions?

Thx.
----Toyonline

Attachments

• RF float DC.PNG
    RF float DC.PNG
    43.9 KB · Views: 58

Hi chuckey, although limit current of my DC power supply was set to be 1A, I don't think there is a DC current in the circuit, since the output is simply applied on a float electrode. I am using voltage and electric field within. R1 was removed, and let the two nodes across it to be open.

But your suggestion on R1 overheating gives me a hint. I have using a wire to connect DC power supply and DC input of the circuit. In order to further protect the DC supply, I fused a 100Mohm resistor at the end terminal of the banana pin. I am guessing a poor fusion of 100M with the pin, or worn out of the fusion. Is it possible the phenomenon was due to this reason?

I have used the circuit for quite long time (1year), this problem appears recently. The only thing I changed was replacing a C3 cap. But I don't think this will result in what I observed.

Thx.
----Toyonline

you do not give a value for R1, it and the 150 ohms may be overheating. Also you do not say what the DC current load is. How do you monitor the DC level?
Frank

Status
Not open for further replies.