Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Corner Simulation for an Amplifier

Status
Not open for further replies.

gilbertomaldito

Full Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,

I am designing a high bandwidth and high gain multi-stage differential amplifier.
However, at corner simulation, there are transistors that turned to linear and cut-off, but it still meets the specs for AC and DC.
My question is, is it ok to just allow it to happen?

--andrew

andrew_matiga said:
Hi,

I am designing a high bandwidth and high gain multi-stage differential amplifier.
However, at corner simulation, there are transistors that turned to linear and cut-off, but it still meets the specs for AC and DC.
My question is, is it ok to just allow it to happen?

--andrew

Since the simulation results fullfil all your performance requirements. The design is ok, but you can try to optimize the design. All transistors in saturation is sufficient but not necessary.

I have had similar amplifiers taped-out and it works after we get back. But generally it is because we overlook it during simulations. It is better to fix it.

I generally don't trust the transistor models for cut-off and linear region of operation. If you cannot fix it, make a call on what happens if you add some variation due to mismatch etc. If it doesn't affect performance too much, then it should be ok.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back