Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Corelated currents DNL in thermometer DAC

Status
Not open for further replies.

yefj

Advanced Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello, I understand that DNL is measured as the standart deviation of subtraction of two voltages where each one is normal distributed.

for example:
if our step is from 6I to 7I then then its I4+I2 to I4+I2+I1 to 111 in binary weighted where as in thermometer it 6I1 to 7I1.
DNL of binary: stadrt diviation of subtraction of random number is sqrt of their power 2 sum)
sqrt(4+2 +0+4+2+1)= sqrt(13)

in thermometer our current distributions are corelated so we subrtaract and getting DNL of 1.
But the formula shown bellow is much more comlicated.how come we just subtract?
Thanks.

1600810054292.png

1600808913910.png

1600809025355.png

DNL is not a measure of the statistical deviation of the difference of two voltages. DNL i s the deviation of the step from one voltage to the nex, compared with the average step of the DAC. Then, on top of that you can ask about the statistical variation of the DNL or the error in the step.
In that respect, for thermometer DACs, you always step from one code to the next by adding one unit element - current in your example. And you compare it with the average value of that unit element, which the average LSB step. DNL=(I-Iavg)/Iavg. To find the variance you simply have
var[(I-Iavg)/Iavg] = var(I/Iavg)=var(I)/(Iavg^2) and thus sigma=sigma(I)/Iavg

Reactions: yefj

yefj

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back