Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Controlling the Gates of simple Three phase inverter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fatima Ali

Junior Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
How can i control the output frequency of three phase inverter using a microncontroller ?
I have heard that pwm is used for controlling the output ? The output of inverter can be simple square wave for simplicity purposes .
Describe any procedure or share any helpful notes , i would be thankful :)

A three phase inverter is pretty much three half bridges that connect to each phase of the load. The load is isolated from power and ground through 2 switches. So to change the frequency you are setting the PWM frequency that is going to the switch. The PWM is what actives and deactives the load phases. Umm any google search will yield multiple examples of this.

Capture.JPG

A three phase inverter is pretty much three half bridges that connect to each phase of the load. The load is isolated from power and ground through 2 switches. So to change the frequency you are setting the PWM frequency that is going to the switch. The PWM is what actives and deactives the load phases. Umm any google search will yield multiple examples of this.

View attachment 103449

How could i generate those pwm signals for driving the gates of the switches .I will need three pwm signals for driving the six transistors .Those pwm signals should be phase shifted ,am i right about this statement ?

The waveforms are 120 degrees out of phase from each other adding up to 360 degrees.

The waveforms are 120 degrees out of phase from each other adding up to 360 degrees.
Yes flag jack ,that is the main issue .How can i generate those phase shifted waveforms using microcontroller ?

The 3 x 120 degree phase shift will be implemented for the modulating signal, usually a sine wave.
Explained e.g. in this application note: https://ww1.microchip.com/downloads/en/AppNotes/00967A.pdf

You can operate an inverter with a simple phase shifted square waves, the operation mode is called fundamental frequency switching, but it hasn't to do with PWM.

The 3 x 120 degree phase shift will be implemented for the modulating signal, usually a sine wave.
Explained e.g. in this application note: https://ww1.microchip.com/downloads/en/AppNotes/00967A.pdf

You can operate an inverter with a simple phase shifted square waves, the operation mode is called fundamental frequency switching, but it hasn't to do with PWM.

How can i generate those phase shifted square waves using microcontroller .The generation of square waves are possible but i am not getting the idea of phase shifting those square waves .Can u suggest any method or algorithm for implementing this phase shifting in microcontroller ?

Use a timer interrupt at 6*fundamental frequency and switch the output pattern at each interrupt respectively. Gate drive deadtimes can be either generated in hardware or by additional software delays.

Use a timer interrupt at 6*fundamental frequency and switch the output pattern at each interrupt respectively. Gate drive deadtimes can be either generated in hardware or by additional software delays.
You mean that , i should interrupt with 6 times the fundamental frequency .Whenever timer overflows interrupt should be called and executed .what is the purpose of using these interrupts ? Tell me how could i generate these delays in microcontroller ?

You mean that , i should interrupt with 6 times the fundamental frequency .Whenever timer overflows interrupt should be called and executed .what is the purpose of using these interrupts ? Tell me how could i generate these delays in microcontroller ?

Correct. The interrupts are for your PWM signals. You need to turn on the phases using a set sequence for the 6 switches. Look at the application note that was provided by FvM.

Status
Not open for further replies.