Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[SOLVED] Controlling 16 Leds using LPT Port and two 74HC595 Shift Registers

Status
Not open for further replies.

gohoto99

Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi guys!
So i need a little bit of help. Im doing a project where i have to create a scheme which controls 16 Leds using LPT Port. For that im using two 74HC595 shift registers. I also need to write a program in C/C++ which lights up a certain led, makes all ON and/or all OFF. Im in need of help how to connect the parts together.
Thanks!

I suspect the teacher is drawing on his own past experience 20 or 30 years ago when parallel-ports sometimes controlled projects (example, 8 relays on one board). I can't believe he expects students to obtain 20 yr old computers. Isn't this school suppose to train students for tomorrow's job market?

I think Prof assumes students already know 8 output pins are each high or low.
Then it becomes an exercise in combining C code with hardware, to control 16 led's.

I imagine the teacher wishes to see students using the least complicated and least costly method. Example, there's the 74HC154 (4-line to 16 decoder IC). I guess you still need latches or RS flip-flops or memory cells.

16 letters of the alphabet could address 16 led's. A capital letter turns an led on. A small letter turns it off. Press 1 to turn them all on. Press 2 to shut them all off. Use the modern Arduino to do this.

Hi,

Nowadays kids play around with Arduino controlling RGB LEDs using a serial bus.
Low cost hardware available, software for free.
(Or they use AI to write the software)

I still expect the OP to show some effort. Drawing a sketch, reading the datasheet, referring to diagrams, asking detailled questions.

Klaus

Hi guys!
So i need a little bit of help. Im doing a project where i have to create a scheme which controls 16 Leds using LPT Port. For that im using two 74HC595 shift registers. I also need to write a program in C/C++ which lights up a certain led, makes all ON and/or all OFF. Im in need of help how to connect the parts together.
Thanks!
Ok you can use Arduino ide

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back