Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Constant current (1A)Driver for "Varying Input Volatge" (16-32).

Status
Not open for further replies.

AshwinNambiar

Junior Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I need to design a constant current LED Driver of 1A to drive an LED array (Green) 3 in parallel and 4 in series.
"The input voltage will vary from 16 to 32 and irrespective of this a constant current driver is to be designed.

1.I had tried using linear circuits-LM317,where there was too much heat dissipation (owing to the drop created from "16-32" input).
2.I used a TIP41C transistor and at the base provided a 60mA constant current device(AL5809-60P1-7),to obtain a constant collector current (Ic).However, the current was not constant because of the varying supply voltage,which caused a variation in Hfe cause of variation in Vce.

I have now decided to design an switching circuit.Avoided so far because wanted to avoid EMI issues.
**I'll be glad to receive help/guidance /suggestions as to how to go about with the design of constant current driver with varying input voltage.**

Hi,

EMI. Please read carefully the design guides in the datasheet.
Don't try to build it on a breadboard...it will not help much, if ever you bring it to work
There are IC manufacturers they build constant current controllers for LED applications.

Usually they have interactive selection guides.

*** in case you don't find wat you need, you could use a buckconverter.
Device selection:
Look for a buck = step down converter. Voltage rating ... current rating.
Use one with adjustable output voltage. Those have a feedback pin. The regulaor regulates the output in a way that there is a given (in the datasheet) voltage at this feedback pin. Look for a converter with low feedback pin voltage. Below 1V. Some are below 0.8V.
The lower the better for the dissipated heat.

Calculate a shunt (connected between feedback pin and GND): R = U(fb) / I(Led).
Dissipated power is: U(fb) * I(Led). Use a resistor with higher rating.

Connect your Leds between output capacitor and shunt.

How it works:
The regulator increases output voltage. Current begins to flow. This current causes a voltage drop across the shunt. This voltage isuse for feedback. The regulator increases current until it reaches the nominal feedback voltage.

Klaus

Hi,

EMI. Please read carefully the design guides in the datasheet.
Don't try to build it on a breadboard...it will not help much, if ever you bring it to work
There are IC manufacturers they build constant current controllers for LED applications.

Usually they have interactive selection guides.

*** in case you don't find wat you need, you could use a buckconverter.
Device selection:
Look for a buck = step down converter. Voltage rating ... current rating.
Use one with adjustable output voltage. Those have a feedback pin. The regulaor regulates the output in a way that there is a given (in the datasheet) voltage at this feedback pin. Look for a converter with low feedback pin voltage. Below 1V. Some are below 0.8V.
The lower the better for the dissipated heat.

Calculate a shunt (connected between feedback pin and GND): R = U(fb) / I(Led).
Dissipated power is: U(fb) * I(Led). Use a resistor with higher rating.

Connect your Leds between output capacitor and shunt.

How it works:
The regulator increases output voltage. Current begins to flow. This current causes a voltage drop across the shunt. This voltage isuse for feedback. The regulator increases current until it reaches the nominal feedback voltage.

Klaus

But how do i keep the current constant.The current is boosted everytime the voltage is bucked.Added to that is the issue of dissipation.

I can do this:Use an LM317,get a constant voltage and then give this constant voltage to a transistor to get a constant Ic.But severe dissipation problems.The LM317 gets heated up.
Any value addition to these as to what can be done would be great.

Hi,

But how do i keep the current constant.
The regulator regulates FB voltage to 0.8V (for example)
If the shunt value is 0.8Ohms, then the current is (according Ohm's law) : I = U / R = 0.8V / 0.8 Ohms = 1.0A.
The power dissipation is U x I = 0.8V x 1A= 0.8W. --> use a 2W.

LM317 solution:
Assuming 8V LED voltage and 24V input voltage..
Power dissipation in the transistor is: (24V - 8V) × 1A = 16W.

Choose what you find more suitable.

Klaus

Re: Constant current (1A)Driver for "Varying Input Volatge" (16-32).

Please put the leds in series, and feed them through a sepic led driver as attached.
The attached runs in the free download ltspice simulator.

The excel design file is also attached....as you know, you design a sepic as a 1:1 flyback then if you want uncoupled, you just double the inductor value.

- - - Updated - - -

also attached is the word file saying why parallel leds are a bad idea

- - - Updated - - -

Or if you want something which is not using such a fine-pin-pitch chip then go for the hv9910b, and to be simple, just use a hv9910b based boost converter to get to 50vdc, then buck down from there with a hv9910b based buck converter to the leds.

HV9910B
https://ww1.microchip.com/downloads/en/DeviceDoc/20005344A.pdf

Attachments

• SEPIC LED DRIVER.pdf
    31.8 KB · Views: 57
  • SEPIC LED DRIVER.TXT
    7.3 KB · Views: 35
  • SEPIC LED DRIVER.zip
    2.6 KB · Views: 33
  • Parallel LEDs evaluation _v4.doc
    334 KB · Views: 83

Status