Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Connecting LCD to VGA port

Status
Not open for further replies.

XTC

Newbie level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
laptop lcd to vga interface

I have an old laptop which i've removed the LCD screen from it and its still working.
i wanna know if there is a way i can connect it to the VGA adapter of my desktop computer, is it like ordinary CRT moniters, i.e it uses RGB interface?
i hope that anybody could help me.
regards...

connect laptop lcd to vga

no.

LVDS is the interface of most notebook's lcd, so u may need to buy a lcd control board with LVDS, or do it yourself^_^|||

laptop lcd display to vga interface

yeah it's pretty wicked. i got a sweet XGA panel of 1024x768 for about 10 bucks. i finally shelved it, but i can give you a description of why.

panel used pixel clock of 65MHz, not too scary but it needs a good pcb, no perfboard here!

for each pixel, i had to send RGB, 6-bits each. My panel used 3 lvds lines driven by a chip such as national DS90CF363. Load it with three bytes at 65MHZ, and it xmit's LVDS at 455Mbps. You have to strobe HSYNC and VSYNC manually, but only once per frame, and line respectively.

i would have needed a XGA controller IC like the ones made by chips & technology, but it was about this point that I realized I was building a video card including fast VDRAM and a 75MHz processor.

all i wanted was a digital picture frame! the cost and development time would have been immense, so i punked out. i wish you luck if you decide to drive this guy, it's definately a non-trivial task.

if you want any details of my experiments, i'll be gald to help.

one note: if your panel does not need LVDS, but rather RGB parallel data, you are in good shape. you "may" be able to drive this without significant trouble, if you happen to be interested in VGA programming. i think it's doable, but i was not able to do it. nor was i able to find any DIY references of anyone who could. ;)

laptop how to vga port suppress the laptop lcd

I got the same idea as XTC. My LCD screen is :
QUANTA display QD141X1LH03
Where can I get its datasheet ? or at least its interface?
Could anyone post it ?

connect laptop lcd vga

Maybe this link will be of your interest:

**broken link removed**

it is for Sharp LQ9D011 TFT panel.

laptop lcd to vga port

Sorry, but I cannot access this web site, I got "site not found" several times ...
Can you print it in a pdf doc and post-it to me.
Gracias!

laptop lcd to vga interface

strange... I just checked it and it is online... anyway here is the PDF:

connect laptop to lcd with vga

The article has moved:

**broken link removed**

Anyway, as the author of that article I'd just like to point out that although it works (with older VGA TFT panels), it's not going to give you any kind of good picture quality. It's more of a "fun to do because everyone keeps saying you can't" kind of thing :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back