Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

connecting 2 computers via internet

Status
Not open for further replies.

omrox

Junior Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hope this is the right forum for this question.

I have two small business computers that I need to network somehow via the internet. Both run on Windows XP. The second computer is at a different location, has a Broadband internet connection and runs Windows XP Home. I need a quick and economical way to network these computers so that any one of them can access files and applications on other. Can this be done??

i m totally unaware of VPN. my requirment are as specified can anyone help me out.

Use FTP server on both computers and open on both only IP to another one (rest range of IP adress - deny).

jj

can the method/steps be elaborated further please.

It's already been mentioned, but the way you do what you need to do is by setting up a Virtual Private Network (VPN). There is a free product to do the job, and it can be found by going to: http://www.hamachi.cc

Mirosoft also describes a way to set up connectivity at: **broken link removed**

If your broadband connections are dynamic IP addresses, you are going to have an added difficulty in accomplishing your goal. You are going to have to subscribe to a third party service that tracks your member computers and gives them some kind of simulated fixed address. Without a fixed IP address, or dynamic DNS, there's no way for two computers with dynamic IP addresses to find each other on the Internet.

Probably the easiest solution for you has been suggested in another post. Just get a couple of dialup modems, and have one computer call the other using a phone line. Client/server software can be installed that will let the answering machine become the server for a dial-in client.

omrox said:
Hope this is the right forum for this question.

I have two small business computers that I need to network somehow via the internet. Both run on Windows XP. The second computer is at a different location, has a Broadband internet connection and runs Windows XP Home. I need a quick and economical way to network these computers so that any one of them can access files and applications on other. Can this be done??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back