Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Comparator simulations - which parameters ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tyanata

Full Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Comparator simulations

Hi,

Which parameters has to be simulated when designing comparator?
(for example for amplifier is known gain, PM, GBW, consumption)

Comparator simulations

Hi tyanata,
for this I'd look into a dataSheet of any commercial comparator IC. Main needed parameters are input common mode range, sensitivity (depends mostly on the gain), switching speed (input change to output change latency) and output slew rate (depending on resistive and/or capacitive load). PM normally is not a pb., as comparators normally operate in open loop mode (or some positive feedBack for hysteresis).

Re: Comparator simulations

what does it mean sensetivity, and how it depends on gain?

tyanata said:
what does it mean sensetivity, and how it depends on gain?
Sensitivity - for a comparator - means the necessary voltage difference between its inputs to switch the output to the inverse level. This is approximately (in first order) power supply voltage/open loop gain.

Comparator simulations

It depends where the comparator will be used. Offset and delay time are among other specs.

I think comparator must be simulted with Monte Carlo analysis,so that can get offset of comparator

I know a parameter , called FOM(figure of merit) that is a frequency/power

tyanata said:
Hi,

Which parameters has to be simulated when designing comparator?
(for example for amplifier is known gain, PM, GBW, consumption)

Normally. offset and delay are taken into general considerations. Sensitivity, gain, slew rate, power dissipation ... line in the second row. The key point is designing what you want. FOM is just an overall specification for most analog blocks. It's a integrate of the parameters listed above. Hope that helps!

Comparator simulations

you can measure the kick back but i don't know how?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back