Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

coaxial cabel - need to find its chacteristic-impedance

Status
Not open for further replies.

accountme05

Newbie level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Finding CH-impedance??

hi !

a coaxial cabel is given to me,
i am required to find it's chacteristic-impedance..
how can i find that??

regards!

Re: Finding CH-impedance??

I would hook it up to a network analyzer with a 50 ohm load at the far end, and measure s11. As the frequency is stepped, it will draw a circle on the smith chart, centered somewhere along the real axis, and the center point of that circle will be the cable characteristic impedance.

Another less accurate way would be to hook a tee junction. On one side of the tee, hook up a high impedance scope probe going to an oscilloscope. On the other side hook the cable. At the far end of the cable, hook various resistors, 35 ohm, 50 ohm, 75 ohm, 100 ohm. Figure out which resistor kills any pulse ringing you see on the oscillosope, and that is the value of your characteristic impedance.

There are other ways, but that is a start.

Rich

www.maguffinmicrowave.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back