Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Cheap method for SPLD programming

Status
Not open for further replies.

mickelsen

Junior Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I would like to be able to use SPLD's (16V8, 20V8, 22V10) in my design to reduce chip count but I don't have any programming capability for them. All of the commercial programmers that I've seen are pretty expensive. Does anyone know of an inexpensive way to get a programming capability for these, even if it is for just one brand?
Thanks.

95xl36

Basically, there is only one brand left, and that is Lattice Semiconductor. They provide an ispGAL. This is a GAL that can be programmed through their standard download cable.
You might concider smaller CPLD's as easy and cheap replacement for the SPLD's.

Regards,
L

spld programming

The CPLD's seem like a pretty big jump. Are there any in particular that you would recommend? And how would I get going with them, programming and development wise?
Thanks again.

spld programmer

mickelsen said:
The CPLD's seem like a pretty big jump. Are there any in particular that you would recommend? And how would I get going with them, programming and development wise?
Thanks again.

For programming SPLDs you could look at GALBLAST. http://www.geocities.com/mwinterhoff/galblast.htm . But I would suggest using CPLDs. Xilinx has the XC9500 series, and Altera has similar. Software for these is free and programmers are very cheap or easily made.

Jim

SPLD programming

xilinx 95XL36

Re: SPLD programming

The Xilinx XC9500 series looks very interesting but is completely new to me. Where do you go to find the free development software and information about buying inexpensive programmers or building your own?

mickelsen said:
The Xilinx XC9500 series looks very interesting but is completely new to me. Where do you go to find the free development software and information about buying inexpensive programmers or building your own?

For software go to www.xilinx.com and search for WebPack. A google search for Xilinx JTAG will find information on programming hardware. They can also be bought cheaply on ebay.

Jim

I appreciate all this help. This is a great website.
Thanks.

**broken link removed**

Status
Not open for further replies.