Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Change MAC Adress for a fanless Industrial PC

Status
Not open for further replies.

knpc

Newbie level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
hello,

I have a fanless industrial PC on which I would like to change the MAC address of the NIC to use DOS. Have you a solution to change this address. I make it clear that the card be used in DOS

Thank you.

Knpc

sorry for interrupting...what purpose of changing MAC address?? is it about IP??

I do not understand why you need to change the MAC to use DOS.

The two are not related.

The only reason for changing a MAC is to clone or hack something.

The MAC it just a unique HW Id to use the Ethernet Port.

If you want to boot a PC into DOS and use TCP/IP.

Then you need a NDIS Driver, NWLink and a Packet driver if i remember correctly. You then need a application to use it with.

Check out:

**broken link removed**

If you want a DOS Web Browser then look at:
http://freshmeat.net/projects/arachnebrowser/

Regards
Ian

Hi,

My software is in DOS and used only MAC adresse number, not TCPIP.

if the motherboard with the integrated network card fails, I want to put another motherboard with another network card and have the MAC address of the first motherboard.

So it should rewrite the MAC address in the Drive of the new network card of the same brand.

Thank's

So it is a case of moving the identity. (Cloning).

You need to supply much more information.

The hardware you have, model, partnumber, links to the spec.

You can usual change the MAC, but it not always easy and offen required hacking the MAC PHY EEPROM.

You need to first find the Ethernet Controller, there is uaually an EEPROM next to it. Something Like 93CXX. Sometimes tools are avaliable from the vendor of the Controller that allow you to reprogram the EEPROM. Oherwise you need to directly connect to it, which may required removing it and use a EEPROM reader/progammer.

You then need to find the MAC in the EEPROM memory and alter it.
The big problem here is the chip may also have a CRC to protect againist Corruption or alteration. If I does, you will need to recreate the CRC. This can take some working out.

Regards
Ian

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back