Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

CFL transformer ballast for mains voltage drop

Status
Not open for further replies.

neazoi

Advanced Member level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Can I use a common CFL transformer ballast for dropping out the voltage from 240v to 120vac?
The load draws about 8W at 120V

You are asking about 50/60 Hz CFL ballast chokes? They act as constant current source and can work for you if the load has at least proportional (resistive) V/I characteristic or a stiffer characteristic towards constant V.

neazoi

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
You are asking about 50/60 Hz CFL ballast chokes? They act as constant current source and can work for you if the load has at least proportional (resistive) V/I characteristic or a stiffer characteristic towards constant V.
Hm... it is to power up a 240v shaded pole motor at hald the voltage (120v, draws 8W there)

The other thing I was thinking was a simple series diode. The diode will cut-off the negative portion of the AC cycle but not completely (0.6v drop) the resulting waveform will be a very distorted AC and the P2P voltage would be around half.

Series diode feeds DC to the induction motor and fastly burn the winding. Don't!

I guess a 4W CFL choke can work. A variac or rheostat would allow to adjust the intended voltage.

neazoi

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Series diode feeds DC to the induction motor and fastly burn the winding. Don't!

I guess a 4W CFL choke can work. A variac or rheostat would allow to adjust the intended voltage.
The motor nominal voltage is 240v. So can i connect the primary of a small transformer in series with the motor, to use this as a choke? The primary has some resistance so this might work?

Hi,

With a LF inductor in series I expect low torque.
Better use an autotransformer. Like the ones for 230V/120V for traveling (shaver)

Klaus

Status
Not open for further replies.