Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[SOLVED] Mains Input into SMPS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fred_B

Junior Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,

I am interested in using a switch mode controller for a project I am working on. I am having some trouble understanding the generic diagram presented in the datasheet for a particular controller. Here is a schematic for reference.
XRecorder_Edited_18122023_082015.jpg

My issue is with what is apparently line input to a common mode choke which then feeds into a bridge rectifier. The jumper for the AC input is labeled L on one terminal and N on the other terminal. I take this to mean line and neutral respectively. Unless I'm missing something, feeding this with a direct mains connection such as what seems to be indicated here will simply blow the bottom two diodes of the bridge rectifier. I modeled this in LT spice, and indeed the bottom two diodes flow hundreds of amps.

So, my question is am I missing something here. The data sheet seems to be implying this will work with a direct means connection. It also fails to imply that there should be an isolation transformer before the jumper where AC is shown being inputted into the circuit. How am I supposed to make this work?

Regards,

fred b

It looks good to me. Are you confusing SMP and PFC? This schematic is a PFC, it has no earth connection, the chassis symbols are floating but common to the the next stage which normally would be the SMPS itself.

Brian.

Hi,

The GND symbol they use ... I´ve initially learned that it is EARTH_GND. But later I´ve learned that other countires use this symbol as the APPLICATION_GND. So not connected to EARTH at all. The GNDs in this circuit are floating with respect to EARTH_GND.

It also is neither connected with N nor L.

--> no high current flow.

Klaus

It looks good to me. Are you confusing SMP and PFC? This schematic is a PFC, it has no earth connection, the chassis symbols are floating but common to the the next stage which normally would be the SMPS itself.

Brian.
I am aware that this is a PFC, although the output except for the isolation issue will work for my application as is. I should have used PFC instead of SMPS in the title line. There's more to this reply in the following reply to the other poster.
--- Updated ---

Hi,

The GND symbol they use ... I´ve initially learned that it is EARTH_GND. But later I´ve learned that other countires use this symbol as the APPLICATION_GND. So not connected to EARTH at all. The GNDs in this circuit are floating with respect to EARTH_GND.

It also is neither connected with N nor L.

--> no high current flow.

Klaus
I get that. I know that neutral in mains wiring is connected to Earth ground at the power box for each facility. I also realized the circuit would work just fine if I isolated the power input from ground.

So that morphs my question into how do I isolate the output of this PFC so that I can use it relative to Earth ground. There must be a way because 200 watt ATX power supplies lack any heavy iron low frequency isolation transformers.

Because my application is over 100 Watts I believe I'm going to need a PFC stage for legal reasons, so I suppose I could look for a PFC design that uses an isolated output, or use an isolated SMPS stage after it. It would be convenient if the data sheets mentioned and offered an example of such.

Last edited:

The isolation so real 'ground' can be used is provided by the transformer in the SMPS stage. As it will typically switch at 10-100KHz, the transformer will use a Ferrite rather than iron core.

Brian.

Status
Not open for further replies.