Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Cascode Output Capacitance Calculation (BJT/HBT)

Status
Not open for further replies.

striderZA

Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I am designing a bipolar cascode amplifier and I need to calculate/estimate the output capacitance.
Here is the reference circuit (from https://ocw.snu.ac.kr/sites/default/files/NOTE/5788.pdf):
1662455417077.png

Because the voltage gain of Q1 is Av=1, we can use Miller's theorem to determine the effective input and output capacitances of the CB stage. These are Cπ1+2Cμ1Cπ1+2Cμ1 and CCS1+2Cμ1CCS1+2Cμ1.
What I don't quite understand is that the notes referenced above state that CCS12CCS1 and Cπ1Cπ1 are in parallel, and CCS22CCS2 and Cμ2Cμ2 are also in parallel. Why is that?
--- Updated ---

I am designing a bipolar cascode amplifier and I need to calculate/estimate the output capacitance.
Here is the reference circuit (from https://ocw.snu.ac.kr/sites/default/files/NOTE/5788.pdf):
1662455417077.png

Because the voltage gain of Q1 is Av=1, we can use Miller's theorem to determine the effective input and output capacitances of the CB stage. These are Cπ1+2Cμ1Cπ1+2Cμ1 and CCS1+2Cμ1CCS1+2Cμ1.
What I don't quite understand is that the notes referenced above state that CCS12CCS1 and Cπ1Cπ1 are in parallel, and CCS22CCS2 and Cμ2Cμ2 are also in parallel. Why is that?
Parallel combinations should be CCS1 + Cpi2 and CCS2 + Cmu2, seems that latex commands broke.

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.