Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[SOLVED] Capacitor in RS232 chip

Status
Not open for further replies.

vishweshgm

Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I am designing RS232 communication chip using SP3232 chip
Datasheet - SP3232
Datasheet typical circuit is as below :
1667378323000.png

I am having question about the capacitor used. These are all electrolytic. Why?
When I googled for example ciruits I found it is being used both ways polarised and non-polarised. These are called charge pump capcitors and my question is that if non-polarised SMD 0.1uF capcitor be used instead?

Solution
You can use non-polarised ones if you wish. The polarity is only marked so if you used a polarised capacitor you would know which way to connect it. Otherwise, the polarity wouldn't be obvious given that the device internally generates some negative voltages.

Brian.
Hi,

I´d say: you can always use a non polarized insted of a polarized one. (Not the other way round)

Unless the datasheet gives some dedicated requirements on the capacitors. Thus you need to carefully read the datasheet.

Known issues:
* ceramics capacitors usually have very low ESR. Some circuits (usually linear regulators) can´t handle these low ESR.
(But I dot think SP3232 is critical in this. But I did not read the datasheet)
* ceramics (Z5U, X5U...) vary the capacitance with applied voltage. Be surre to use the correct cermics type. (X7R should be suitable. Use capacitors with higher voltage rating than your application needs)
* ceramics capacitors suffer from piezoelectric effect. They may cause audible noise.

Klaus

vishweshgm

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
You can use non-polarised ones if you wish. The polarity is only marked so if you used a polarised capacitor you would know which way to connect it. Otherwise, the polarity wouldn't be obvious given that the device internally generates some negative voltages.

Brian.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.