Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[SOLVED] Can we simulate far field in ADS EM Co-Simulation with lumped elements?

Status
Not open for further replies.

torbai

Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
A friend of mine is designing an antenna with lumped elements and diodes mounted. The spice model of the diodes can be found in the internet. In his design, he needs to choose a proper bias to achieve his goal of the gain or bandwidth of the antenna, or something else. I found that the EM Co-Simulation in ADS is very convenient in designing a project which has both PCB and circuit component involved. The field effect of the PCB, if it doesn't change, can be only simulated once even when we change other parameters related to components or devices any times we like. So if he just change the bias voltage other than the board itself, can it save some time to get the far field by using EM Co-Simulation?

Co-simulation helps to combine planar(microstrip) based circuit and lumped circuit element as well as active devices in schematic form in ADS.
One need to simulate layout elements in momentum and call these results
in circuit schematic,to combine with lumped and active devices.
You can see realtime response of your total circuit by tuning voltages or
lumped elements in schematic.

Co-simulation helps to combine planar(microstrip) based circuit and lumped circuit element as well as active devices in schematic form in ADS.
One need to simulate layout elements in momentum and call these results
in circuit schematic,to combine with lumped and active devices.
You can see realtime response of your total circuit by tuning voltages or
lumped elements in schematic.
That's true. That is what I know.

But my problem is to get the far field result which is mainly derived from the EM data. So I'm thinking whether we can get the far field data from co-simulation which can save a lot of time if the board is unchanged.

I guess the answer is negative....

Yes, you can easily do this. The layout doesn't change, so the EM results are valid.

For co-simulated far field (antenna pattern), the circuit excitation AEL add-on is used. You need to re-simulate the circuit simulation with the changed bias, and then read in the updated data into the antenna pattern viewer.

ADS online help:
Home > Simulation > Electromagnetic > EM Circuit Cosimulation > Using the EM Circuit Excitation AEL Addon
qthelp://ads.2014.01/doc/em/Using_the_EM_Circuit_Excitation_AEL_Addon.html

Reactions: torbai

torbai

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Yes, you can easily do this. The layout doesn't change, so the EM results are valid.

For co-simulated far field (antenna pattern), the circuit excitation AEL add-on is used. You need to re-simulate the circuit simulation with the changed bias, and then read in the updated data into the antenna pattern viewer.

ADS online help:
Home > Simulation > Electromagnetic > EM Circuit Cosimulation > Using the EM Circuit Excitation AEL Addon
qthelp://ads.2014.01/doc/em/Using_the_EM_Circuit_Excitation_AEL_Addon.html
Thank you. You helped me a lot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back