Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

can spartan 3 withstand 1GHz frequency

Status
Not open for further replies.

lgeorge123

Full Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I decide to use 4 250MSps adc interleave to 1000MSps and connected to Spartan 3 fpga for processing, so I wonder can spartan 3 internal block can withstand this 1 G Hz frequency ?

No. It can be under 150Mhz

The top end, fastest, most expensive FPGAs can probably take 400-500 MHZ at a real push. So 1GHz in the cheap devices is not going to happen.
Expect more like 200-300Mhz at the top end with lots of design consideration.

Fast IO can be achieved by devices with SERDES (serialiser/deserialise) blocks on the IO pins. Some ADCs now come with SERDES outputs, just to make life easy.

The term "withstand" isn't very precise. Which operations do you want to perform with 1 GHz speed?

I decide to use 4 250MSps adc interleave to 1000MSps and connected to Spartan 3 fpga for processing, so I wonder can spartan 3 internal block can withstand this 1 G Hz frequency ?

by having 4 Channel of 250MSPS interleaved sampling you can achieve 1GSPS data but with some degradation in SNR and signal quality...
but after sampling you can process this data with any rate possible for you.

storing in a RAM then processing may be a solution but it is good for short time data.
another way to process 1GSPS data is to use parallel processing, it's good solution for real-time continuous data.
for example if you have 4 units that run at 250MSPS and multiplies incoming data to a constant, it's like you have a multiplier that runs in 1GSPS. by this way you can have a multiplier with 1GSPS rate inside FPGA.
if you can design a multiplier with 1GSPS rate then you can do many things...

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back