Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

can anyone help me building a negative 12v from a positive 12v?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pipoyz07

Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
i've build a power supply circuit that has a regulated 12v output voltage using a transformer and a voltage regulator.. what will i do to have a negative 12v output voltage from the circuit ive made? any suggestions? thanks in advance..

Is your goal to make a bipolar supply connected at center ground?

How much current do you want from the negative supply?

Is your transformer (a) single winding, or (b) with center tap?

Reactions: IanP

IanP

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
yes.. my circuit requires +12v and -12v connected to it.. 200mA will be enough for my circuit..

See this example :

Dual Voltage Regulator from Single tapped trafo.jpg

:wink:

Reactions: IanP

IanP

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
yes.. my circuit requires +12v and -12v connected to it.. 200mA will be enough for my circuit..

Everyone and their dog sell these days (3W) dc-dc mini-modules that can convert input voltage (5V, 12V, 9-18V, etc) to output (12V) @ 250mA ...
The output is isolated so it can be added to the input voltage as negative voltage - with the reference to 0V ..
See example @:
**broken link removed**

:wink:
IanP

The most straightforward method is tpetar's schematic above. If your transformer has a 1A (or even 1/2 A) rating, then it should be able to provide 200mA at +12 and -12 V.

For sake of completeness... there are methods to invert +12V. Example, charge-pump, voltage doubler, switched coil buck-boost.
These will not necessarily be easy to regulate. They will require more power from the transformer in the form of greater bursts of current from your regulated +12V supply.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back