Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[SOLVED] can an FPGA transmit and receive wirelessly

Status
Not open for further replies.

zurgh

Junior Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
ive been doing a school project on FPGA and my application is automotive.. ive been thinking of using DE2-70.. using such board can i receive and transmit in FPGA? how possible..

this is my 1st design.. thanks for the help in advance..:-D

zurgh,
Yes that development board looks like it would handle the task nicely. You will have to attach your wireless system to one of the expantion connectors. Though you could use the on board IR Data link if you have line of sight with other interfaces. I expect that you will put a micro processor in the FPGA and program it to do your tasks.

Hope that helps some
Sckoarn

many thanks ser..

so i'd be using NIOS? confirm NIOS II is a microprocessor?

zurgh,
Yes, a board like that should enable access to the NIOS II. So basically all you will have to do is create an interface to your wireless system in the FPGA and create software to drive it. This is NOT a small project. If it is your first time using this stuff, it will be challenging.

Sckoarn

can NIOS II recognize C++ programming? and you said something about a line of sight connection.. confirm a direct connection between FPGA - microprocessor(NIOS II) - IR data link - sensor(e.g. fluid control sensor)?

thank you ser..

zurgh,
The development kit should include a compiler, I am sure it will be able to do C++ because they most likely use g++ in the background. If you look at the data sheet/PDF file discribing the board, you will see they talk about an IR link capable of 100 kb/sec. So in order for this to work you need another object with the same IR link system on board. I would assume that two boards could be made to communicate. But this would be a line of sight link, where as wireless would be distance limited, of course depending on the frequence of the wireless system.

Sckoarn

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back