Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

calibrating the losses of wires and probes for power measurement

Status
Not open for further replies.

OZZAA

Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I have designed an on-chip class AB amplifier at 15 GHz and I want to measure its power gain and its adjacent channel leakage ratio by using signal analyzer (as a source) and the spectrum analyzer (as a sink)
How I can make the calibration of the cables and probes.
I think these losses can not be neglected at this frequency band.
what should I do to avoid these lossed in my measurment results.

Is this a trick question? Connect your cables from the source to the SA. Measure the loss.

If your source is set for 10 dB, and the Spectrum analyzer measures 9dB, you‘ve got 1dB of loss in your cables.

If you designed the circuit correctly, then you should have a duplicate with a thru wire at same impedance to calibrate your s21 , s11 with the standard VNA methods of calibration. If you do cannot make a duplicate with a thru wire, then calibrate with the cables and with just an SMA thru connector for comparison.

It seems you do not have a VNA and are using a Sig Gen and SA to perform a similar task. Using a directional coupler or splitter might help if you want to measure s11.

Read about the various methods of VNA calibration.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back