Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Calculating area of sphere within particular angular range

Status
Not open for further replies.

antennageek

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello everyone,
I have a confusion because of different conventions used by mathematician and physicists for defining spherical coordinates. I have measured Far field data and now I am trying to calculate Total radiated power for it. I am using this formula for first calcuting power through small area

Capture.PNG

Here you can see the the range of theta of is from 0 to 360 and range of phi is 0 to 180. But in measured data I have ranges for theta from 0 to 360 and phi 0 to 180. But using defination for azimuth and elevation from this site

https://mathworld.wolfram.com/SphericalCoordinates.html

I understand theta is my azimuth and phi is my elevation. So will that means the formual I have pasted above the sin(theta)d(theta)d(phi) should be change to sin(phi)d(phi)d(theta) or it will be same.

Last edited by a moderator:

With the angles as in the site provided, then, the area of a sphere is as follows:

Area of Sphere =∫azimuthelevation R² sin(elevation) d(elevation) · d(azimith)

All integrals lower limit is 0.

If you change azimuth with 2Π and elevation with Π, you will get 4ΠR².

Call them however you want... variables are just.. variables.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back