Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Breakdown voltage vs IC gap : Paschen's Law ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tucco

Junior Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
paschen law

Hi,
I have two microstrips conductor with a gap 20 to 100 microns between.
Substrate is Alumina or FR4 and air above.

How can I calculate the DC Voltage breakdown of these "electrodes" ?

I read that , around these gap values (5 to a few hundred microns), the Paschen's Law can be valid in air, dependent of pressure by the product distance x pressure. Is it really valid for my case ? And for the E field in the substrate, this law is good ? Which method must I take ?

Help me please !
Thanks

voltage breakdown air

Tucco said:
Hi,
I have two microstrips conductor with a gap 20 to 100 microns between.
Substrate is Alumina or FR4 and air above.

How can I calculate the DC Voltage breakdown of these "electrodes" ?

I read that , around these gap values (5 to a few hundred microns), the Paschen's Law can be valid in air, dependent of pressure by the product distance x pressure. Is it really valid for my case ? And for the E field in the substrate, this law is good ? Which method must I take ?

Help me please !
Thanks

With uncoated microstrip conductors you'll have to face air breakdown ("arc-over") if voltage is high enough. The two substrates m.a. have much higher dielectric strengths than the air above (15 .. 20 V/µm conf. to (a rather conservative value) of 3 V/µm for (dry) air @ STP conditions). Hence Paschen's Law should hold for a good approximation. S.a. the PDF below:

breakdown voltage vs pressure

After investigations, I think that for my specific problem, it's better to use paschen's curves that give a minimum value of 327 Volts in dry air for electrodes close to 5 to 100 µm. It's a geater value than just applying the general electrical strength (50 µm x 3V/µm= 150V).

It seems that, under 5 µm, the breakdown law is more complex to calculate...

Electrical Breakdown in Atmospheric Air Between Closely Spaced (0.2pm-40pm) Electrical Contacts - Paul G. Slade & Erik D. Taylor - IEEE - 2001

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back