Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Beam steering using single antenna

Status
Not open for further replies.

Abhayesh

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I have a dipole antenna using for 860-960 MHz frequency.
Is there anyway I can do beam steering using single antenna?
If my question is not clear please ask me..

Abhayesh

A fixed single dipole antenna have only one radiation pattern, no beam steering possible by variation of signal source.
Surrounding can be changed acting indirectly as either director or reflector which can change radiation pattern, but it can not be counted as a fixed antenna situation.
Rotating the antenna is simplest form of beam steering and it works also for a single dipole antenna.
De-tuning radio circuit impedance also affect antenna radiation pattern as transmission line becomes a part of the total antenna.

Hi,

Just a question :
Can you use a reflector with your dipole, like a small parabola or corner-reflector ?

BR

My antenna is a circulary polarized antenna.So i think you know the pattern...Could you explain what you mean by using parabola or corner-rflector....It will be useful if you can send me some links to read about this....

Hi,
Yes. It is not easy to control the pattern without array principle antenna !
The last solution is to defocus the dipole-feed behind one reflector like one parabola...
but I am not sure that is the best solution.

I don't know sufficiently your specifications to help you correctly.

Regards

What type of antenna is it? It can not be a single dipole if it is circular polarized.

Beam steering is normally assumed to be a dynamic reversible process were steering can be controlled by operator.
Rebuild a single antenna element by adding more elements such as directors or reflectors is not a flexible way to steer a beam.

POLARIZATION is R & L Circular using in 860-960MHz with 3 db beamwidth 65degree.Any other information you need please ask me....

You say you have a something that is threaded both right and left at the same time. Such screws exist but they are really rare.
Do not know what kind of beam steering that is expected and for what antenna type.
Giving up this guessing game. :?:

Sorry it available in two flavors...right or left....Assume ot for R circular

As E Kafeman says
this is just a guessing game and is getting frustrating
we have asked for info on the antenna it hasnt been clarified its obviously NOT a dipole as you originally stated
as a dipole cannot have any form of circular polarisation

soooo... how about you help those of us who are trying to help you :)

post a photo of the said antenna so we can see what you are talking about

cheers
Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back